February 13, 2014

Valentine's Day

Oh Valentine's Day.  You know, I have never understood the big issue with this holiday.  I do not see the big deal in having a day dedicated to expressing love to someone.  Yes, we should do that all the time, but life gets busy, we get caught up in our own stuff and sometimes we need reminders.  I do think people can go overboard with the gifts, but if that's how they "love" then what's wrong with that? I guess I've just never understood why people are so anti-Valentine's Day.  But I digress... I'm here to talk about my Valentine's Days.  Because I'm narcissistic like that. 

In my college and post-college days I spent this day alone, no biggie.  While I would have loved someone to share the day with, I did not chastise those that had someone.  I knew that one day when I found my love that I would then get to celebrate Valentine's Day and then all the chocolate and flowers would be mine, forever.

After what seemed liked decades, the Lord finally sent me Cheyenne.  Score! Have you seen him??? I super out-kicked my coverage on that one.  The first Valentine's Day we spent together he made me dinner, got me a card, and we had a nice little celebration at his house.  It was great and I hoped that many more Valentine's Days were in our future. 

So imagine my surprise on our first married Valentine's Day when my sweetheart all of a sudden starting spouting the typical anti-Valentine's Day hate speech... "it's just a stupid holiday made up by the card company to get us to spend money."  Say what??? But last year you made me dinner.... there was candy.... what happened?  (They say women change after they get married, well you know what, so do the boys.  So do the boys).

We went on to spend 5 celebration-less, candy-less, candlelight-less Valentine's Days together.  So last year when Cheyenne was on his usual rant about "it's not a special gesture for me to get you something if you EXPECT it on Valentine's Day. It's more special if you get something unexpected, that's romantic."  Then I asked him "so when have you gotten me something romantic unexpectedly?"  Boom! Checkmate Amy! I then went on to remind him that Words of Affirmation and Gifts are my love languages and how hard is it to buy me some King Size M&M's, slap them in my hand and tell me I'm pretty?  That's all I'm asking for! Not diamonds, not handbags, not even a dinner out (although I would take any of those).  I seriously just want some candy and a handful of compliments.  And maybe not to have to do bedtime with the kids that night. 

After our conversation last year, I was surprised and delighted by my bouquet below on Valentine's Day.  He nailed it! I actually cannot imagine a better gift (except maybe not having to do bedtime with the kids that night). 



  
And what did I get Cheyenne last year you ask?  Nothing.  I got him nothing because his love language is "never spending money, ever."  So his "gift" was the money, still in our bank account.  You're welcome dear.

So with a successful 2013 Valentine's under our belt I was looking forward to 2014.  That is, until I walked into the kids daycare the other day.  At the entrance of daycare is a Black History Month/Valentine's Day bulletin board.  At the top of the board it says "Who do you love?" and has pictures of some of the kids holding signs of who they said they loved.  I was delighted to see that Lincoln had made the bulletin board.  That was until I actually read the board....


Acutally, of the 7 kids, 5 said Mom, 1 said Dad, and 1... well, you'll see

Oh can you not see what that little traitor said?  Let me zoom in...


Another Smith man breakin my heart

That's right.  My boy said "Friends."  Friends! Can you believe that??? ALL of the other children named a parent and my kid said friends.

After seeing the board I ever so gently asked Lincoln
"WHAT THE CRAP LINCOLN! All of your other friends said they loved their Mom and you said you loved your FRIENDS? WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?"

And because Lincoln still does not understand passive-aggressiveness or guilt, he simply went on to explain that he DOES love his friends and then he proceeded to name every child on the board and talk about how he loves them. What. Ever.  At 3 years old he is already forgetting the primary woman in his life right now and acting like such a MAN.  He really is his father's son huh?

Fine.  I see how you want to play this.  Game on Lincoln Smith.  Game. On.

Because they have been talking about Valentine's Day at school, every day this week when I have picked him up he has asked me if I have any candy for him because it's "Balentines."  Well my answer now just might be "No, Mommy had candy, and then she ate ALL OF IT. Maybe you should go ask your friends, you know, the one's you LOOOVVVEEE, for some candy."  

But maybe answers like that are the reason I didn't make the bulletin board in the first place... 

Anyway, I hope you all have a Happy Valentine's Day filled with candy, loved ones, and grateful children.



2 comments:

  1. I Love You!!! And your blog and that you put my thoughts into your written words!!!!
    HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from one of your friends!!

    ReplyDelete